BACKGROUND AND HISTORY OF DEPARTMENT
Over the six decades of its existence, the University of Ibadan has been host to a myriad of musical activities. These were played out in the establishment and burgeoning of musical groups and interests, some of which include the Music Circle and the University Choir. These activity groups succeeded in creating an aura of sonic effervescence within the institution.
However, beyond recreational practice, the University of Ibadan has earned a reputable image as a frontline institution of learning and research in the performing arts. The long term existence, productivity and success of the Theatre Arts department attest to this fact. Against this background and in line with the vision of the University “to be a world-class institution for academic excellence geared towards meeting societal needs”, it therefore became necessary to establish Music as an academic discipline. This ultimately led to the creation of the Department of Music in the Faculty of Arts.
VISION, MISSION, PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF MUSIC PROGRAMME
The vision of the music programme is to be a world class academic Department that will serve as a referent for all other academic Departments in every University where Music is taught. This is line with the vision of the University of Ibadan.
The mission of the Department is to produce graduates worthy learning and character, who will serve as custodian of society’s salutary values and who will bring their various musical skills to bear on practical and cultural issues relevant to the larger society.
The philosophy and objectives of the Department of Music
The philosophy of music program is to prepare and produce graduate of music who will be competent to musicianship both in the international sense and also in their own African and National tradition.
The aims and objectives of the programme leading to B.A. degree in Music include:
The primary objective of the programme is to produce music graduates for both professional and academic needs of the country. In this regard the department aims to:
- Develop and enhance our students’ awareness of the musicological values, contributions and potentialities of Nigeria’s social, cultural and spiritual environment.
- Instill in the students the spirit of self-reliance, self- confidence and self-actualization while taking cognizance of individual student aspirations and talent.
- Train performing musicians of international standard in folk, popular and art music.
- Promote and preserve Nigerian traditional music alongside modern Nigerian music through documentation and performance.
- Train qualified music teachers, educators and professionals for schools, colleges of education, polytechnics, universities, religious organizations, the media, the military, and other relevant sectors of the society.
- Provide programs that are in touch with, and will positively impact professional artists, in promotion and furtherance of the Vision of the institution “to be a world-class institution for academic excellence geared towards meeting societal needs.”
AREAS OF SPECIALISATION IN MUSIC
- MUSIC EDUCTION
- MUSIC TECHNOLOGY