Prof. Stephen Akinola Odebunmi
Department of English
Faculty of Arts
University of Ibadan
E-Mail address: [email protected]
- Higher Institutions Attended with Dates
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria - 1988 - 1992
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria - 1995 - 1997
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria 1999- 2003
- B.A (Ed.) English (Second Class Upper Division)
- M.A. English Language
- PhD English Language
EXPERIENCE IN TEACHING AND RESEARCH:
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses
- ENG 307 Translation Theory
- ENG 403 Studies in English Syntax
- ENG 408 Special Subjects in English Studies
- ENG 409 History of English Language
- ENG 746 Semiotics
- ENG 776 Stylistics
- ENG 782 Meaning in Language
- ENG 783 Discourse Analysis
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- International Pragmatics Association, Belgium
- Reading Association of Nigeria
- Nigeria English Studies Association
- Acting and drumming
Essays and Theses:
- Neo-colonialism and the New Nigerian Novel? (Undergraduate Long Essay). 1992.
- Nigerianisms of Sunday Adeniyi (Sunny Ade): A Lexico- semantic Analysis? (Master of Arts thesis). 1997.
- Pragmatic Features of English Usage in Hospital Interactions Amongst Medical Practitioners and Patients in Southwestern Nigeria (PhD thesis). 2003.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 1998. Teaching Informal English in Nigerian Schools: A Foray into Sunny Ade's Juju Music. Ela: Journal of African Studies (Ogbomoso: Fine and Applied Arts Department). 2/ 3&4: 60- 89.
- Odebunmi, Akin.1999. A Semiotic Study of the Headlight in Nigeria. Ela: journal of African Studies. Ogbomoso: Fine and Applied Arts Department. 5&6: 25-36.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2001. ?A Lexico-Discoursal Study of Poetic Meaning?. Ife Studies in English Language. 5: 106-116.
- Odebunmi, Akin and Aladeyomi, S.A. 2003. Consonantal Discourse: A Themarhetorical Study of Osundare's The Eye of the Earth?. Africa: Journal of Contemporary Issues. 1/1: 48-56.(4)
- Okunoye, Niyi and Odebunmi, Akin. 2003. Different Story, Different Strategy: A Comparative Study of Achebe?s A Man of the People and Anthills of the Savannah. Studia Anglica Posnaniensia (Poland). 39: 289-302.
- Odebunmi, Akin and Alabi Femi. 2003. ?Semantic Calculus and the Language of Poetry. Science Focus. Ogbomoso: Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences (www.sciencefocus.ng). 3: 45-49.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2005. Politeness and Face Management in Hospital Conversational Interactions in South-Western Nigeria. Ibadan: Journal of English Studies. 2: 1-22.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2005. The Context of Hospital Conversational Interactions in South-Western Nigeria. Journal of the Nigeria English Studies Association 11(1): 38-53.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2006. ?\A Pragmatic Reading of Ahmed Yerima's Proverb in Yemoja, Attahiiru and Dry Leaves on Ukan Trees. Intercultural Pragmatics. 3(2): 153-169.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2006. Locutions in Medical Discourse in South- western Nigeria?\. Pragmatics. 16(1): 25-42.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2006. Expression of Meaning in some English Registers. Ife Studies in English Language. 6: 20-30.
Contribution to Books:
- Odebunmi, Akin.1996. Abbreviations and Acronyms in Medical, Science, Technology and Agriculture (MESTA) Texts. In Adegbija, E. and Ofuya, A. (eds). English Language and Communication Skills for MESTA Students. Ilorin: University of Ilorin Press. Pp. 248-261.
- Odebunmi, Akin.2001.Written Communication in Nigerian Universities: The Case of LAUTECH. Sola Babatunde, Tayo Oloruntoba Oju and Femi Dunmade (eds). Viewpoints: A Tribute. Ilorin: Department of Modern European Languages. Pp. 69-78.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2001. ?Attitude to and the Future of English in Nigeria? in Sola Babatunde (ed) Issues in Contemporary English Usage. Ilorin: Haytee. Pp. 120-145.
- Odebunmi, Akin and Olagunju, Sade. 2002. Euphemism in English Usage. In Dele Afolabi (ed) Readings in the Humanities. Ogbomoso: General Studies Department Pp. 45-57.
- Odebunmi, Akin. 2002. The Pragmatics of Face Acts in a Nigerian University Administration. In Dele Adeyanju and Sola Babatunde (eds) Language, Meaning and Society. (Ilorin: Haytee). Pp. 179-192
- Odebunmi, Akin and Ogunleye, Kayode. 2003. The Context of Humour in Chinua Achebe's Anthills of the Savannah in Lekan Oyeleye and Moji Olateju (eds) Readings in Language and Literature (Ile-Ife: Obafemi Awolowo University Press). Pp.243-252.
- Odebunmi, Akin 2001 The English Word and Meaning: an Introductory Text. Ogbomoso: Critical Sphere.
Conferences Attended / Registered For:
- 1st Annual Conference on Research on Information and Communication for the Woman in Africa. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. 7th - 9th July 1997. Conference Paper: Ade Adejumo and Akin Odebunmi Sexploitation: A Pragmatic Exploration of the Language of Advertisement in Nigeria.
- 10th Annual Conference of the Modern Languages Association of Nigeria (MLAN). French Village, Lagos. 26th -29th September 2001. Conference Paper: Akin Odebunmi: Advertisement in Nigeria: A Selective Communication.
- 8th International Pragmatics Conference, Toronto, Canada. 13th - 18th July, 2003. Conference Paper Akin Odebunmi: Pragmatic Failure in Hospital Interactions in Nigeria.
- English language Teaching Today (ELTT) (Second Edition) Federal University of Technology, Minna. 26th - 29th May 2004. Conference Paper: Akin Odebunmi and Olagunju Sade: Pedagogical Resources of Prose Texts in a Science/Technology - Oriented Language Programme.
- XXIst Annual Conference of the Nigeria English Studies Association. University of Lagos, Nigeria. 8-11 September 2004. Conference Paper: Odebunmi, Akin: The Context of Hospital Conversational Interactions in South-Western Nigeria.
- XXIInd Annual Conference of the Nigeria English Studies Association. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria 7-10 September 2005. Conference Paper: Odebunmi, Akin: Explicatures and Implicatures in Magazine Editorials: The Case of the Nigeria Tell Magazine.
- International Conference on Human Development. College of Human Development, Covenant University, Otta, Ogun State, Nigeria: 27-30 June, 2005. Conference Paper: Odebunmi, Akin: ?The Pragmatics of Medical Discourse in South-Western, Nigeria?.
- Proverb Conference in Nigeria. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria; 1-5 August 2006. Conference Paper: Odebunmi, Akin: Pragmatic Functions of Crisis-motivated Proverbs in Ola Rotimi's The Gods are not to Blame.