Personal Profile Page
Professor Philip Adedotun Ogundeji
Department of Linguistics & African Languages
Faculty of Arts
University of Ibadan
E-Mail address: [email protected]
- B.A.(Hons.) Yoruba (Second Class Upper), University of Ibadan, Ibadan.1979.
- M.A. Yoruba, University of Ibadan, 1981.
- Ph.D. Yoruba, University of Ibadan, 1988.
English and Yoruba
Semiotics of Yoruba Aroko and other indigenous symbol communication systems
Book project, An Introduction to Yoruba Literature
Book Project on Yoruba Dramatic Criticism to be written wholly in Yoruba Language
Collaborative researches in developing Yoruba metalanguage for Human Anatomy and Agriculture
Translation of Femi Osofisanâ€™s Once Upon four Robbers to Yoruba
- 1997. â€œThe Communicative and Semiotic contexts of Aroko among the Yoruba Symbol Communication Systemsâ€, Africans Language Culture, Vol 10 No 2 pp 145 â€“ 156.
- 1998. â€œThe Image of Sango in Duro Ladipoâ€™s Playsâ€, Research in African Literatures, Vol 29, No 2, pp 57 â€“ 75.
- 1998. Orin Ewuro (Songs of the Bitter Leaf), A collection of Poems Under Pseudonym, Atari Ajanaku, Sam Books Publishers, Ibadan.1stnd Study Editions by Ibadan Cultural Study group, Ibadan. and 2
- 2000. Ritual as Theatre, Theatre as Rituals: The Nigerian Example, Isese Monograph Series 2, Ibadan Cultural Studies Group, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- 2004. â€œMultilingual Situation in Nigerian Drama: A Perspectiveâ€ in Kola Owolabi and Ademola Dasylva (eds.) Forms and Functions of English and Indigenous Languages in Nigeria: Frestchrift in Honour of Ayo Banjo, Group Publishers Ibadan pp 670 â€“ 692.
- 2005 â€œForms and Functions of â€œTraditional Theatre Practice in Nigeriaâ€ in S. Ademola Ajayi (ed.) African Culture and Civilization, Atlantis Books, Ibadan and Ibadan Cultural Studies Group pp 211 â€“ 245.
- 2006 â€œOju Oja: A Socio-commercial Portrait of the Traditional Market-Place in Yoruba Plays, Yoruba 3.1 pp. 1- 14.
Honours and Awards
University of Ibadan Post graduate school scholar, 1980 â€“ 1983.
Odunjo Memorial Lecture Grant to complete Ph. D. thesis, 1988.
Co-winner of the Association of Nigerian Authors (A.N.A.), Oyo State Chapter, 1998 1st Prize in Yoruba Poetry.
Fellow, Salzburg Seminar Series 371, 1999.
Vice President, Association of Nigerian Authors (Oyo State Chapter) 2002 - 2004.
President, Yoruba Studies Association of Nigeria 2004 â€“ to date
Chairman and the University of Ibadan representative, Odunjo Memorial Lectures Committee 2005 - to date
Chairman, Olaniwun and Lady Adunola Ajayi Foundation Lecture Organising Committee 2006 â€“ to date.