PROFESSOR OGBOGBO, CHRISTOPHER B.N.
Contact Address: Department of History, University of Ibadan,Ibadan, Nigeria.
Telephone: (M) 234-802-303-0901
- PERSONAL DATA
(a) Nationality: Nigerian
(b) State: Delta State
(c) Marital Status: Married with Four Children
(d) Sex: Male
(e) Date of Birth: 10th October 1963
(f) Next of Kin: Mr. Olisemekelim Ogbogbo
Faculty of Law
University of Ibadan
(a) Professor of African History, University of Ibadan, October 2012 - Till Date
(b) Head, Department of History, University of Ibadan 2008- June 2010.
(d) Visiting Senior Lecturer, University of Benin, Benin City. Nov.2006- Oct. 2007
(e) Visiting Scholar to Northwestern University, Evanston, U.S.A. 2006.
(f) Visiting Scholar St. Augustine University of Tanzania, Mwanza. Sept-0ct. 2010.
(g) Visiting Professor in African History, Kennesaw State University, Atlanta Georgia,
USA, May- August 2010& May – August 2014.
III. UNIVERSITY EDUCATION WITH DATES:
(a) University of Ibadan, 1982 - 1985
(b) University of Ibadan, 1986-1988
(c) University of Ibadan, 1999-2004
(d) ObafemiAwolowo University 1991-1997
(e) California State University, Sacramento, USA, Nov.1998.
(f) Nigerian Law School 1998-1999
(g) ObafemiAwolowo University 2000-2002
IV. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS WITH DATES
(a) B.A. (Hons) History, 2nd Class (Upper Division) 1985.
(b) M.A. (History), 1988.
(c) LL.B (Hons), 1997
(d) Barrister-at Law 1999
(e) LL.M 2002
(f) Ph.D. 2004
V. OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
(a) Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution (Negotiation and Mediation) 1998
(b) Certificate in Peace and Conflict Studies Programme (CRESNET) 2005
VI. SCHOLARSHIP, FELLOWSHIP AND PRIZES:
(a) History Departmental Prize for Best Graduating Student, 1984/85 Session. University of Ibadan
(b) Faculty of Law Prize for Best Graduating Post Graduate Student 2002 Session, ObafemiAwolowo University.
(c) MacArthur Foundation Grant
(d) French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA) research grant awardee for 2005.
(e) University of Ibadan Senate Research Grant University of Ibadan 2007.
(f) Fellow of the Peace and Conflict Studies Programme, Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan.
(g) Member of Council, Historical Society of Nigeria 2005- Till Date.
(h) Fellow and Vice-President, Historical Society of Nigeria, 2009- August 2014
(i) President, Historical Society of Nigeria, 2014
VII. MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED SOCITIES:
(a) Member, Historical Society of Nigeria.
(b) Member, Ethnic Studies Network, Ireland.
(c) Member, American Studies Association, Nigeria.
(d) Member, African Studies Association, U.S.A.,
(e) Member, Nigerian Bar Association.
(f) Fellow, Historical Society of Nigeria
VIII. SOME RECENT POSITIONS OF ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Member, University of Ibadan Senate 2005-2009
- Senate Representative on Board of Institute of Education, 2005- Till Date
- Senate Representative on Board of the Institute of African Studies, 2005-Till Date
- Faculty of Arts Representative on Faculty Board of Law 2000-2004
- Member, Board of Arts studies 2005-2006
- Member, Faculty of Arts Links Committee2005-2006
- Adviser, Faculty of Arts Students Association 2005- Till Date
- Member, Department of History, University of Ibadan, Finance Committee
- Deputy Co-ordinator, Distance Learning Centre, University of Ibadan, 2000-2005
- Chairman, 50th Anniversary Committee of Historical Society Nigeria, 2005.
- Member of Council and Vice President, Historical Society of Nigeria 2009- Till date
- Treasurer Nigerian Bar Association, Ibadan, 2002-2003
- Publicity Secretary Nigerian Bar Association, 2003-2005
- Editor, Ibadan School of History Monograph Series since 2009.
- Member, Editorial Board of OFO: Journal of Transatlantic Studies, Ohio, USA Since 2012.
IX. COURSES TAUGHT
(a) POST-GRADUATE COURSES
1. Nigeria: Problems of Nation Building (HIS 712)
2. Niger Delta Agitations and the Nigerian State (HIS 7O9)
3. Supervision of postgraduate dissertations at the Masters Degree and Ph.D. levels.
4. Associate Lecturer in the Peace and Conflict Studies Programme, University of Ibadan.
(b) UNDERGRADUATE COURSES
1. Expansion of Europe 15th-17th Century (HIS 104)
2. Introduction to Historiography (HIS 301)
3. West Africa 1500-1800 (HIS203)
4. Nigeria: From Earliest Times to 1800
5. Nigeria since 1800 (HIS 305)
6. Southern Africa 1500-1800 (HIS307)
7. Historiography in Africa (HIS 401)
8. Supervised many undergraduate Long Essays.
X. DETAILS OF TEACHING EXPERIENCE AT TERTIARY INSTITUTION LEVEL
(a) 1985/6, (National Youth Service Corps- Compulsory National Service) Lecturer,
Awka College of Education, Awka, Anambra State of Nigeria.
(b) 1988 – Till date, Lecturer, Department of History University of Ibadan.
(c) 2004 – Till date, Associate Lecturer, Peace and Conflict Studies Programme,
University of Ibadan.