Professsor Adebola B. Ekanola earned a first-class B.A (Hons.) degree in Philosophy from Obafemi Awolowo University in 1991. He successfully completed the M.A degree in Philosophy at University of Ibadan in 1995, finishing top of his class. Prof Ekanola also earned a Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy egree from University of Ibadan in 2002.
Prof. Ekanola was employed in the Department of Philosophy, University of Ibadan, as an Assistant Lecturer in 1997. Within thirteen years, he rose through the ranks to become a Professor of Philosophy by October 2010: Lecturer II in 1999, Lecturer I in 2002, Senior Lecturer in 2005 and Professor in 2010 as a high-flier.
Prof. Ekanola specializes in Ethics and Social and Political Philosophy, with special interest in issues relating to Social Peace and Social Development. Prof. Ekanola has over 50 publications, consisting of edited books, chapters in books and journal articles. He has published in highly reputable international journals in Africa, Asia, Europe and USA. Prof. Ekanola has also presented academic papers at several international conferences in many countries across the globe. In addition, he has served as a resource person at several academic workshops within and outside Nigeria. He is also a recipient of several awards, grants and fellowships.
Within the University of Ibadan, Prof. Ekanola has supervised several postgraduate students at both the Master and Ph.D levels. He has also served on several committees and as Acting Head of Department of Philosophy between 2010 and 2012. He is the current Dean of the Faculty of Arts.
Outside the University of Ibadan, Prof. Ekanola served as Visiting Lecturer at Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye (2004-2005) and University of Bradford, United Kingdom (2010); he was also a Visiting Professor at Obafemi Awolowo University (2013-2014). He was as well a Visiting Professor at University of Lagos between August 2014 and August 2015. Prof. Ekanola has also served as external examiner and professorial assessor at several universities in the country. He has also had the privilege of serving as a member of NUC accreditation team to some universities. In addition, Professor Ekanola is the Chief Examiner for Professional Ethics at the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria and The Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria.
- “The Challenge of Sustainable Development and the Imperative of a Moral Renaissance in the Niger Delta Debacle: Augmenting UNDP’s Human Development Agenda”
Dissertation and Thesis
- “Public Interest: The Individual and the State”, (1996), M.A project, Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan.
- “Peace and the Problems of Justice and Group Loyalties in Contemporary Society”, (2003) Ph.D Thesis, Department of Philosophy, University of Ibadan.
- Oladipo, O. and Ekanola, A. B. (eds.) (2009). The Development Philosophy of Emmanuel Onyechere Osigwe Anyiam-Osigwe. Vol.1. Ibadan: Hope Publications. 163 pp. [ISBN: 978-8080-48-0].
- Oladipo, O. and Ekanola, A. B. (eds.) (2009). The Development Philosophy of Emmanuel Onyechere Osigwe Anyiam-Osigwe. Vol.II. Ibadan: Hope Publications. 228 pp. [ISBN: 978-8080-50-2].
- Irele, D. and Ekanola, A. B. (eds.) (2010). The Development Philosophy of Emmanuel Onyechere Osigwe Anyiam-Osigwe. Vol.1II. Ibadan: Hope Publications. 258 pp. [ISBN: 978-8080-53-7].
- Ekanola, A. B. (1999). “Ethics and Society”. In Ayo Fadahunsi (ed.). Philosophy and Society. Ibadan: Hope Publications. pp. 47-54. [ISBN: 978-34596-4-3].
- Ekanola, A.B. (1999). “Nature of Philosophical Problems”. In ‘Dipo Irele (ed.). Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Reasoning. Ibadan: New Horn Press pp.14-22. [ISBN: 978-32518-5-6].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2000). “The Nature of Political Philosophy”. In Kolawole Owolabi (ed.). Issues and Problems in Philosophy. Ibadan: Grovacs Network. pp. 222-230. [ISBN: 978-044-311-8].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2001). “Morality of Peace and War”. In Ebun Oduwole and Mabol Olaolu (ed.). Fundamental Theories and Issues in Ethics Ibadan: Ben-El Books. Ibadan. pp. 157-165. [ISBN: 978-35051-2-2].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2005). “Metaphysical Issues In African Philosophy”. In Olusegun Oladipo (ed.). Core Issues in African Philosophy, Ibadan: Hope Publications. pp. 74-89. [ISBN: 978-8080-14-6].
- Ekanola, A. B (2005). “Tasks of the Philosopher in Contemporary Africa”. In R.A Akanmidu (ed.). Footprints in Philosophy. Ibadan: Hope Publications. pp. 84-95. [ISBN: 978-8080-17-0].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2005). “The Imperative of Justice in the Quest for Peace in Contemporary African Society”. In Isaac Olawale Albert (ed.). Perspectives on Peace and Conflict in Africa: Essays in Honour of Gen. (Dr.) Abdusalami A. Abubabakar. Ibadan: John Archers Publishers and Peace and Conflict Studies Programme. Institute of African Studies. University of Ibadan. pp.44-55. [ISBN: 978-2188-36-0].ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (2009). “A Critical Exposition of the Views of Emmanuel Onyechere Anyiam-Osigwe on Youths, Education and Social Development”. In Olusegun Oladipo and Adebola B. Ekanola (eds.). The Development Philosophy of Emmanuel Onyechere Osigwe Anyiam-Osigwe, Vol.1. Ibadan: Hope Publications. pp. 135-147. [ISBN: 978-8080-48-0].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2009). “Introduction to Formal Logic”. In Olusegun Oladipo and Jonathan Olobatoke (eds.). Introduction to Philosophy and Logic: Oyo: Ajayi Crowther University. [ISBN: 978-37619-6-X].
- Ekanola, A.B. (2009). “Good Governance in the Development Philosophy of Anyiam-Osigwe”. In Olusegun Oladipo and Adebola Babatunde Ekanola. (eds.). The Development Philosophy of Emmanuel Onyechere Osigwe Anyiam-Osigwe. Vol.II, Ibadan: Hope Publications. pp. 69-82. [ISBN: 978-978-902-120-8].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2009). “Rectifying the Evils of the Past: Social Justice and the Idea of a National Conference in Nigeria”. In J. Obi Oguejiofor (ed.). Philosophy, Ideology and Civil Society. Owerri: Living Flames Resources. pp. 341-359. [ISBN: 978-37421-2-0].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2000). “Development, Social Justice and the State”. Journal of Philosophy and Development. Vol.6. Nos. 1 & 2. pp. 60-71. [Nigeria].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2003). “Peace in Contemporary Society: Transcending the Bonds of Group affiliations”. Journal of Conflict Management and Development. Vol. 1. pp.1-14.ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (2004). “Leadership Crisis and the Quest for Peace in Nigeria: A Philosophers’ Perspective”. Oye: Ogun Journal of Arts. Vol. X. pp. 98-109. [Nigeria].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2004). “Public Interest, the State and the Pursuit of Peace in Contemporary African society”, African Journal of Contemporary Issues. Vol. 2, No. 3. pp. 278-285.
- Ekanola, A. B. (2004). “What is This Thing Called Peace?”. Ibadan Journal Humanistic Studies. Nos. 13 & 14. pp. 41-53. ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (2005). “Beyond Isolation, Towards Cooperative Relations and Resolution of Ethnic Conflicts in a Contemporary African Society”. Africa Insight. Vol. 35. No.3. pp. 48-54. [South Africa].
- Ekanola, A. B. (2005). “Socio-Economic Development and the Myth of the Invisible Hand in the Global Market Economy: Questioning the Ethics of the Global Capitalist Order”. Journal of Social Development. Vol. 20: 2. pp. 132-154. ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (2005). “In the Quest for an Enduring Social Peace in a Violence Ridden Society: From a Culture of War and Violence to a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence”. West African Journal of Philosophical Studies. Vol. 8. pp. 92-112. ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (2005). “Human Nature, War and the Quest for Social Peace”. Journal of Philosophy and Nature. Vol. 2. No. 2. pp. 23-44. ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (2006). “The Moral Demand of Peace on the Global Capitalist Order”. Peace Review. Vol. 18. No.2. pp. 281-288. ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A.B. (2006). “National Integration and the Survival of Nigeria in the 21st Century”. The Journal of Social, Political and Economic Studies. Vol. 31. No.3. pp. 279-293.
- Ekanola, A.B. (2006). “A Naturalistic Interpretation of the Yoruba Concept of Ori”. Philosophia Africana. Vol. 9. No. 1. pp. 41-52.
- Ekanola, A.B. (2006). “The Social Relevance of Philosophy”. Journal of Philosophy and Development. Vol. 8. Nos. 1 & 2. pp. 44-55.
- Ekanola, A. B. (2009). “Realizing the Value of Peace in Africa”. Peace Review. Vol. 21. No. 2. pp. 222-229. ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (2009). “Pacifism and its Prospects for Social Peace”. Hekmat va Falsafeh, Vol. 5. No. 2. pp. 23-39. ABSTRACT
- Ekanola, A. B. (May, 2010). “Rethinking The Question of Values in an Era of Terrorism”. Filosofia: Philosophia:International Journal of Philosophy. Vol.39:2. pp. 194-211. ABSTRACT