Personal Profile Page
Dr. Olakunbi Ojuolape Olasope
Birth date: 1971-08-14
Department of Classics
Faculty of Arts
University of Ibadan
Telephone number: +234-8037119459
E-Mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria - 1987 â€“ 1991
University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria - 1992 â€“ 1994
University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria - 1996 â€“ 2005
Academic Qualifications (with dates and granting bodies):
B.A (Hons) Classics, University of Ibadan - 1991
M.A Classics, University of Ibadan - 1994
PhD Classics, University of Ibadan, Ibadan - 2005
Details of Teaching Experience at University Level:
Assistant Lecturer, Department of Classics, University of Ibadan, March 5, 1997-Sept. 30, 1999.
Lecturer II, Department of Classics, University of Ibadan, Oct. 1, 1999 â€“Sept. 30, 2004.
Lecturer I, Department of Classics, University of Ibadan, October 1, 2004 â€“ till date
Membership of Learned Societies:
- Member, Classical Association of Nigeria (CAN).
- Member, International Federation of Societies of Classical Studies (F.I.E.C).
- Associate Member, International Medieval Institute (I.M.I), Leeds.
- Member, Society for the promotion of Roman Studies, London, U.K.
- Member, African Literature Association, U.S.A.
- Member, Circle of Concerned African Women Theologians: Women in Culture and Religion
- Member, American Studies Association of Nigeria.
- Member, Womenâ€™s History Network, U.K.
- Member, African Studies Association, UK.
- Member, Association of Women in Development (AWID), Canada
- Olasope, O.O (1997) Roman Attitudes to the Early Christians in the First and Second Centuries. Seminar Paper Delivered in the Department of Classics, University of Ibadan.
- Adornment in Antiquity.
Dissertations and Thesis
- Olasope O.O. (1991) The Trial of Jesus and the Roman Legal Processes, B.A Long essay.
- Olasope O.O. (1994) The Roman Legal Realities in the Gospel of Luke and The Acts of The Apostles, M.A dissertation.
- Olasope O.O. (2005) The Ideal of Univira in Traditional Marriage Systems in Ancient Rome and Yorubaland, PhD thesis.
Books Already Published None
Chapters in Books Already Published.
- Olasope O.O. (2002): Greek and Yoruba Beliefs in Sophoclesâ€™ Antigone and Femi Osofisanâ€™s Adaptation, Tegonni: Papers in Honour of Tekena N. Tamuno ed. Egbe Ifie, P. 408 â€“ 420.
- Olasope O.O (2004): The extent of the powers of the paterfamilias and Olori-ebi in Ancient Roman and Yoruba Cultures, Wole Soyinka @70 Festschrift, LACE Occasional Publications Series 22, p809-836
Articles that have Already Appeared in Refereed Conference Proceedings: Nil
Patents: Nil Articles that have Already Appeared in Learned Journals
- Olasope, O.O. (2001): The Roman Slave and His Prospects in the Late Republic and Early Empire, Castalia Vol. 6, P 63 â€“ 71.
- Olasope, O.O. (2004) Gender Discriminations in Classical Rome. Ibadan Journal of European Studies. No. 4, P 80-95
- Olasope, O.O (2005) Differential Equations: Bride-Price and Dowry in Ancient Roman and Yoruba Cultures,Nigeria and the Classics Vol.21, p.71-77.
Books, Chapters in Books and Articles Already Accepted for Publication.
- Olasope, O.O. (2007): Sexual Exploitation of Women: Rape and Adultery in Classical and Yoruba Societies
- Olasope, O.O. (2007) Roman Jewellery, Benin Beads for Class Structures: Significance of Adornment in Ancient Cultures.
- Olasope, O.O. (2007) Patriarchy and Classical Athens: State Regulation of the Lives of Women.
- Olasope O.O. (2006): Marriage Alliances in Ancient Rome. Ibadan: Hope Library of Liberal Arts Series
Major Conferences Attended (in the last 5 years)
- Womenâ€™s History Network, 13th Annual Conference, Hull, UK. 2004 â€œBetween Cornelia and Agrippina: A historical re-considerationâ€.
- Sixth European Social Science History Conference, Amsterdam, 22-25 March 2006. Differential Equation: Dowry and bride-price in ancient Roman and Yoruba Cultures.
- Womenâ€™s History Network, 15th Annual Conference, Thinking Women: Education, Culture and Society, Durham, September 1-3, 2006.
- Womenâ€™s History Network, 16th Annual Conference, Collecting Womenâ€™s Lives, Winchester, September 7-9, 2007.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Prizes (with dates)
- Visiting Scholar, Department of Classics, University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2002.
- University of Ibadan Senate Research Grant, 2005/2006.
- British Academy Visiting Fellow, Oriel College, Oxford, Trinity Term, 2007.
- Nigerian Academy of Letters (NAL) Post-doctoral Fellowship, August 2007.
- The seventeenth Annual Colloquim on the Novel, Groningen, Netherlands, April 24 - 27, 1994.
- Omero Tremila Anni Dopo, Genova, July 6 - 8, 2000,Italy.
- The Relevance of Classical Studies in the 21st Century: Draper Hall, Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan, Feb., 2001.
- International Medieval Congress, International Medieval Institute, Leeds, July 9-12, 2001
- 13th Annual Conference of the Women's History Network, Hull, United Kingdom, Sept. 3 - 5, 2004.
- 30th Annual Meeting and Conference of African Literature Association, Wisconsin, Madison, April 14-18, 2004.
- 11th Annual Conference of American Studies Association of Nigeria Sept 15 - 18, 2004, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- 31st Annual Meeting and Conference of African Literature Association, Boulder, Colorado, April 6-10, 2005
- 4th Information & Communication Technology Capacity Building Programme (CBP). 11th - 29th July, 2005.
- 14th Annual Conference of the Women's History Network, Southampton Solent University, Southampton, Sept 2-4, 2005