Personal Profile Page
Prof. Nelson O. Fashina
B.A (Hons.) OSUA, M.A, Ph.D. (Ibadan)
GSES (Cornwall), Cert. in Post-modernism (Louisville)
Areas of Specialisation:
Postcolonial Literature, African, African American, Caribbean, Literary Theory, Cultural Studies, Drama, Poetry, Gender studies, Sacred Texts, Lit and the Mind, Creative Writing, Stylistics
Room 66, 1st Floor,
Department of English, Faculty of Arts.
University of Ibadan.
Email: [email protected]
Current Research Projects
i. Towards the Development of African indigenous Theory of Literature (Funded through the University of Ibadan Senate
ii. Dramatic Econo/Psychology of Personal Conflicts in Postcolonial Discourse: An Investigative Critique of Two Ghanaian
iii. Proverbs, Proverbials and Meaning:Towards a New Taxonomy of Reading Patriarchy in Achebeâ€™s Things Fall Apar
(Completed and presented at the International Conference on CONTEMPORARY PERSPECTIVES ON AFRICAN PROVERBS,
at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria from 1st-5th August, 2006.
1. Fashina, Nelson (2005) â€œLit-orature Development, World Peace and the Challenges of
Literary Theory /Criticismâ€.Journal of the Nigeria English Studies Association Vol.11, No.1.
2. Fashina, Nelson (1996) â€œTechniques of Language and Style in Advertisementâ€.
Effective English Usage for Tertiary Education Osinsanwo et al (eds); Greenline Publishers, Lagos, pp. 236-136.
3. Fashina, Nelson (1997, 2005) â€œPolemics, Ideology and Society: Osundare, Ofeimum
and Aig-Imoukhuedeâ€. In Dasylva and Jegede (eds), Poetry in English. Sam Bookman, pp. 122-136. This book is revised and republished by Stirling Horden, Ibadan, 2005.
4. Fashina, Nelson (1998) gods at the Harvest (an African epic cultural play)
Atlantis Books: Ibadan Cultural Studies Group 137pp. *With performance text available in
5. Fashina, Nelson (1999) A Foliage in the Woods (an African Novel) Sam
Bookman, Ibadan: 156pp.
6. Fashina, Nelson (1999) â€œTransmigration of Oral Aesthetic Poetics in Wole
Soyinka and Okot pâ€™Bitekâ€™s Poetry: Comparative Paradigmsâ€.Coping with Culture ed. Egbe Ifie, Opoturu Ibadan, pp.203-213.
7. Fashina, Nelson (2003) A Season of Harvest (an African epic performance
poetry) Ibadan Cultural Studies Group, 109pp *With performance text available in audiotapes.
8. Fashina, Nelson (2003) Lyrics of the River. Ibadan: Stirling-Horden, 56pp. (a
poetic farewell speech I was nominated to deliver on behalf of the Fulbright Scholars in Postmodernism at the Summer Institute University of Louisville, KY, USA, 2000, which is later published as a volume of dramatic poetry)
9. Fashina, Nelson (1992) â€œParadigms of Linguistic Expatriation in Modern African
Dramaturgy. Review of English and Literary Studies. V ol.9, No. 1, pp.7 - 17.
10. Fashina, Nelson (1995) â€œFrom the Tragi-comic to the Melodramatic: A Critical
Study of Satire in Selected West African Dramaâ€. Nigeria Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities. Vol.3, Nos.1 & 2.pp.222-233.
11. Fashina, Nelson (1996) â€œDeification or Assassination of Language: The
Linguistic Alienation in Wole Soyinkaâ€™s The Roadâ€. Obitun: Journal of Humanities. Vol. 1, No1. pp.54- 68.
12. Fashina, Nelson (1995) â€œText, Meaning and the Oral-Written Transmodal
Theory: A Postmodernist Praxisâ€. OSUA Studies in Language and
Literature (OSSIL). Vol. 1, No.1, pp.25-35
13. Fashina, Nelson (1997) â€œContextual and Cultural Configurations in African
Dramaâ€. Inquiry in African Language and Literatures.(RALL) Vol.2.pp. 11-23.
14. Fashina, Nelson (1997). â€œCategories of Mental Dissonance in Africa
Dramaturgical Text: A Psychoanalytical Criticism of Ama Ata Aidooâ€™s The Dilemma of Ghost. Journal of Educational and Humanistic Studies, Vol. 1, No. 1 April Issue, pp. 29-43.
15. Fashina, Nelson (1997) â€œ Feminist Theory, Criticism and the African Literary
Genocideâ€. Obitun: Journal of Humanities Vol.2, No. 2, pp.83-93.
16. Fashina, Nelson (1997) â€œFrom Early to Latter Works: Towards a Poetics of
Style and Content in Ngugiâ€™s Writingâ€. JEHUS. Vol 2, No 3, October Issue, pp. 59-68.
17. Fashina, Nelson (1998) â€œThe Quest for an African Dramatic Theory: Retrospect and
Prospectsâ€. Journal of Educational and Humanistic Studies, Vol.3, No 1, (April Issue), pp. 59-72.
18. Fashina, Nelson (2000) â€œFeminist Theories and the Valorization of Female
Energy: A Post-Modernist Re-reading of Gabriel Okaraâ€™s The Voiceâ€. Castalla. Vol.3. No.2, pp.208 - 225.
19. Fashina, Nelson (2001) â€œ Intercourse of Style and Message in Post-independent
Nigerian Poetic Discourseâ€.Research in African Languages and Literature (RALL), Vol.3, No.2, pp. 15-28
20. Fashina, Nelson (2002) â€œOgun: Iron and Metallurgy, Global Technology and the
Modern Supernaturalâ€,CONTEMPORARY DISCOURSE. Nigeriaworld.com 6pp.
21. Fashina, Nelson (1993) â€œFrom Alienation and Expatriation to Repatriation:
Categories and Principles in Modern African Dramaâ€ Research in English and Literary Studies (RELS MONOGRAPH SERIES, 18) Ed. Samuel Omo Asein, pp. 45.