Academic and Professional Qualifications
B.A(Ibadan), M.A(Ibadan),M.A (latin American Studies) london),Ph.D(Ibadan).
Area of Specialisation
Department of History, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- The Contribution of the Egba to Political Development in Nigeria: 1830-1960
- Sources of African-Negro Cultural Studies
- A review of Toyin Falola and Dare Oguntomisin: The Military in Nineteenth Century Yoruba Politics (University of Ife Press, 1984).
- Problems of Effective Politics of Income Distribution in Latin America.
- Ethnicity and Decolonisation in the British Carribean.
- A history of the African Diaspora: This work was started in October 2001. It is a work on the diaspora experience of African including the often-neglected pre Trans Atlantic Slave trade period. The thrust of this work is to add a new dimension in the treatment of the African Diaspora, as we enlarge it to emphasize the non-trans-Indian, trans-Saharan foci and severe African diaspora from the traditional slave trade initiated only syndrome. Voluntary diaspora manifestations is given prominent attention. One of the political strength of the work is the insight it gives to the conceptual foundation of African Diaspora.
- “The story so far”: The chapter on the conceptual insights into the African diaspora, the nature of African diaspora, which are the basis of a novelty on African doaspora studies have been completed. The remaining part yet to be completed is “The Asian factor in the African Diaspora.
Dissertation and Thesis
- “Conflict and Compromise in nineteenth century Yorubaland: A Case Study of Egba-Ijebu Relations”. M.A. Dissertation, 1981, University of Ibadan
- “The Role of Great Britain in the Abolition of Slavery in Brazil, 1856-1888”. M.A. Dissertation, 1986, University College, London.
- “A Comparative Study of the Emancipados in the Slave Societies of Brazil and Cuba in the nineteenth century”, Ph.d Thesis 2004 University of Ibadan.
- Ajayi, J.F. Ade, with Sofela B and Nyinyo S.G. (1995) History of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Lagos: NSE, 240 pages.ABSTRACT
- Sofela B. (2000) Egba-Ijebu Relations: A Study in Conflict Resolution in Nineteenth Century Yorubaland Ibadan: John Archers 83 pp.
- Sofela B. (2011) Emancipados slave societies in Brazil and Cuba. New Jersey, Africa World Press (292pp)
- Sofela B. “Abeokuta, 1839-1982: The Socio-Economic Transformation of a Refugee Settlement”, in Oguntomisin G.O. and Ajayi S.A. (eds.,) (2002) Reading in Nigerian History and Culture Essays in memory of Professor J.A. Atanda Ibadan: Hope pp 208-224.
- Sofela B. (2007): Identity Politics in Nineteenth Century Brazil” in Trade Babawale (ed) The Place of Research and Studies I the Development of Africa and the African Diaspora, Lagos Concept Publication Ltd. (Nigeria).
- Sofela B. (1999) “The Primacy of Alake of Egbaland” Olota: Journal of African Studies Vol. 3 No. 1, 14-29 (University of Ado Ekiti)
- Sofela B. (2002) “The Relevance of Traditional Rulers in Western Region to the Parliamentary Democracy of the First Republic of Nigeria”. Nigeria and the Classics Vol. 7. 1-38 (University of Ibadan).
- Sofela B. (2003) Abeokuta: Its Politics and Economy, Castalia Vol. 14, 21-29 (University of Ibadan).
- Sofela, B. (2003) “Africans in the West Indies”, Castalia Vol. 15, (University of Ibadan)
- Sofela, B. (2004) Agrarian Reform and Capitalist Labour Process in Latin America. 1960-1980 Ibadan Journal of Humanistic Studies Vol. 13 and 14 2003-2004 (University of Ibadan)
- Sofela B. (2004) “Impact of Portuguese Policy on the Changing Political Structures in Brazil: 1800-1831, Ibadan Journal of European Studies No. 4 (University of Ibadan)
- Sofela B. (2005) The Changing Pattern of Foreign Investment in Latin America. 1850-1929. Nigerian Journal of Economic History Vol. 7 & 8 (University of Ibadan)
- Sofela B. (2007) “Egbe Omo Oduduwa and the Action Group Party: The Origins and Problems of a Nigerian Political Party, 1951-1965 African Studies Review Vo. 6 )Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba)
- Sofela B. (2007) Poverty in Latin America. Implication on Land and Housing International Journal of Applied Psychology and Human Performance. Vol. Association of Applied Psychology and Human Performance (Winneba, Ghana)
- Sofela B. (2008) The 1930 Revolution in Brazilian Modern History. African Studies Review Vol. 7 (Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba)
- Sofela B (2008) “The British Factor in Egba-Ijebu Relations, 1852-1872” Drumspeak New Series Vol. 1 No. 1 (University of Cape Coast)
- Sofela, B (2005) “Africans in the Classical World” Journal of Philosophy and Culture Vol. 3 No. 2 (University of Cape Coast
- Sofela B. (2010) The Making of a Scholar” in Ajayi S.A. and Sofela B. (eds) Ayo Ogunsheye: The Workers’ Economist, 1923-1990, Ibadan Book Wright
- Sofela B. (2010) “The Consummate Manager of Men and Materials” in Ajayi. S.A. and Sofela B. (eds) Ayo Ogunsheye: The Workers Economist, 1923-1990, Ibadan, Book Wright.
- Sofela B. (2010) Ajayi S.A. and Sofela B. (eds) Ayo Ogunsheye: The Workers Economist, 1923-1990, Ibadan, Book Wright.
- Sofela, B. (2004) British Diplomacy and Abolition of Slavery in Brazil. 1856-1888. Ibadan: Hope Publications
- Sofela B. (2005) The Populist and Corporatist State in Brazil. 1930-1980 Accra: Woeli Publications
- Sofela, B. (2007) Models of Economic Intergration in Latin America: A Comparative Analysis of LAFTA and CACM. Ibadan Book Wright.